Saturday, May 11, 2013

Go Goa Gone - Zombie(Is)land!


Zombies always amused me- not the concept of being an undead myself, but the way popular culture made a salable commodity out of them. Always been an ardent fan of Zombie movies and always was a bit disappointed to watch redundant saree-clad ghosts desperately trying for revenge down here. When I saw the trailer of "Go Goa Gone", was super thrilled to welcome the new genre to the town. "GGG" is not the serious zombie kind, which was indeed a wise decision from the makers. The chosen style is an effective icebreaker, which will ease in the audience to a potential trend. Zombie-Comedy.
Hardik and Luv are roomies, colleagues and major-league stoners (which is revealed in a hilarious opening sequence). To get over his ex-biyaatch-girlfriend, Luv decides to head to Goa with Hardik on their mutual friend Bunny's Volkswagen. They end up in an island accompanied with a Russian mafia drug lord, a hot girl in shorts and a herd of ZOMBIES!
GGG was worth watching in the big screen. It’s hilarious, thoroughly entertaining and beautifully shot. Kunal Khemu really steals the show. Vir Das and Anand Tiwari were equally good with their timing and one-liners. Puja Gupta serves the intended purpose. Saif Ali Khan was a pleasure to watch. I have seen my share of Zom-Coms (including my personal favorites, Shaun of the Dead and ZombieLand) and GGG never let me down. I have heard people commenting about the second half being aimless. For Zombie Movies, the build-up is the most exciting part and then its the usual routine of headshots. Being said that, I think Raj and Krishna did a good job in keeping us smiling till the end credits.
I am giving GGG an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment