Saturday, October 27, 2012

Master of Pilomotor Reflex

Its been a while, I had listened to this track. I have singled out the most amusing part of this song. I am not an expert in music neither do I play an instrument but I am interested to dissect and study what is that in a song, that gives me irresolute pilomotor reflex. A R Rahman is a musician who a is master of this art. He succeeds with me almost every time. Its his knowledge of using a particular bit of sound, which might go rather unnoticed or irritating if placed incorrectly, which makes his compositions worth multiple listenings. For instance, in this particular track notice the way he assembles the sub-mix. Accompanied pad-strings, chorus, beautifully scaled vocal variations but above all that; the key here, is the slightly distorted tweet sound at "00.18" (in the clip below) and it's perfect placement. Most of our neo-musicians will omit the part or as in most cases not even think about something as 'trivial' as this. But thats where all the difference exists. And there's more than one instance in this clip. There a point where the song changes its acoustic style. Rahman coats the transition with a sublime thunder sound at "00.39"This is applicable to all Rahman songs.

 PS: I am carrying curses from all the indie-musicians I've worked with, for trying forcefully to extract something like this from them. 

Listen the clip here:
http://soundcloud.com/thepaperbird/ennavilai-clip


No comments:

Post a Comment