Sunday, February 12, 2012

Friday Rain


I don't consider myself a good person for reasons more than two.Some kid asked me the other day,"Have you done anything in your life which made you so happy". I wasn't able to answer that then, as nothing came to my mind. But the question made me think for a whole night and I went way back to the past. Yes, I too had a moment like that.Something that happened way back.I was 15.It was a heavily pouring friday.The sky was dark at 10 am. We were alone at home, me and my little brother. The power went off a little later than we expected leaving us with nothing to do.So eventually, as like any brothers at a blacked-out home-alone day would do, we started fighting. Back at those times,as I had the advantage of being bigger than him, took him down easily. And soon after, he ran to his room and I was again left with nothing to do. Though my brother was 3 years younger than me, we always had a strong connection.We shared/share almost all of our stories and helped/help each other out at difficult times. He was really angry at me after all that fight.I tried reading for a while but couldn't focus on that as I was hearing a distant but clear crying sound. I finally went to his room and knocked at his door. No answer.None that I expected. He said "Fume Off!" (Well, Fume wasn't the word he used).I somehow wanted to say sorry to this guy but he wasn't giving me a chance. So I thought of a plan. Go out, Buy something for him, Give him that - Problem Solved. But being a 15 year old, your plans are not always meant to materialize. For the next half an hour I did a detailed parameter scan and all I got was 60R. I ran out to the street. Nearby there was this Ice cream Shop we often visit.I bought a family pack of chocolate ice-cream and ran back. I was about to reach my place and then I saw something that sort of changed a lot in me.Walking in front of me, not too far, was a mother and a child. They seemed too poor and weak. It was drizzling. The little boy was walking barefoot. He was hardly 3. He looked up to his mother and said something. She took a bottle from what seemed a sack she was carrying. The boy sat down on a milestone.Looked like he was tired of all the walking. The mother took a gulp from the bottle and handed it over to the boy. He took it with two hands holding it carefully and started drinking from it. The bottle was at least 2 years old and the water was so dirty. I could see dust in that water from where I stood. What happened for the next 2 minutes was totally out of my control.I don't know what made me do that. I walked up to them, gave the ice-cream pack to the kid and 10R to the mother.They looked at me for a while possibly trying to figure out what just happened. But by then I was on my way home and didn't look back. I got back at home empty handed.Oh well, I had the bill from the shop. Nothing came to my mind as an excuse to say to my brother. He came and opened the front door. We shared awkward silence for a while but then he gave me a hug and said sorry.I could only say to him sorry, nothing else of what actually happened.

I told this story to the kid who asked me the question.He nodded his head and said " Yes, That was a good thing you did.Do you still feel happy when you are remembering this". I said "Yes".Then he said something which changed my whole perspective on that incident. He stared at my face with a smile and said " Ice creams do melt really fast".

No comments:

Post a Comment