Sunday, February 12, 2012

Interview: Srinath Rajendran

MovieRecycle.com editor Mahesh Ravi interviews Srinath Rajendran, director of the upcoming Malayalam movie Second Show. A graduate from film school, Srinath assisted director Jayaraj on Gulmohar and Loud SpeakerSecond Show is Srinath’s debut directorial venture and it stars  a bunch of new comers including Dulquar Salman, son of superstar Mammootty, as the lead protagonist.

Tell us about your entry into the movie industry.
SR: Movies have always fascinated me. But only few people knew about this passion. It was only after I had completed my degree course that I got the courage to tell everyone that I intended working in films. I went to Delhi to pursue a course on filmmaking. Upon course completion, I returned to Kerala and worked with director Jayaraj sir on movies such as Gulmohar and Loudspeaker.

AOPL Entertainment Private Limited is producing Second Show.

Your debut venture Second Show is getting ready for its release and the movie has already bagged a lot of public attention and anticipation, mainly because of its leading debutant, Dulquar Salman (son of veteran Malayalam actor, Mammootty). Tell us about working with Dulquar.
SR: Before the actual shoot, we had a series of discussions. This was mainly regarding the script. Dulquar, from then on, was an active participant and it helped him a lot in understanding the character and the premise. So it kind of made it very easy working with him. The best part is that he came to the set as Dulquar and not as a star's son.

Besides Dulquar, your movie features an ensemble cast comprising of a bunch of new talents and veteran actors. How did that benefit you and how good was the experience of working with freshers.
SR: A major portion of our cast and crew comprised of friends and most of them are in their 20s. I wanted to cast freshers in my film because the script demanded it. Most of these debutant actors were with my crew for a long period on rehearsals and casting camps. I loved extracting things out of them. The fact is that when you are amateur, things you do come from the heart. Being a professional may have the adverse effect. It may tend to make you do things mechanically. So, in a way, I was really happy to work with freshers.

From the beginning, progression of Second Show has been somewhat discreet. Filmmakers usually run for media and public attention. Any particular reason to go about it the silent way?
SR: There were two main reasons behind it. One is that we were shooting some scenes candidly. Revealing the film to the public may have resulted in the shoot being hindered thus spoiling the candid nature. Another reason is that I wanted my film to speak for it rather than us speaking for it. I don't know how much of this is practical, since super-attentive marketing is required nowadays for making business.

Tell us about the technical crew behind Second Show.
SR: My crew is also a bunch of newcomers. Pappu, who was an associate to Rajeev Ravi handles the camera. Vini Viswalal, another fresher and a childhood friend pens the story, screenplay and dialogues. Nikhil, again a fresher, works on the music. Three tracks are being done by Avial, the music band. Editing is being handled by Srikanth and Praveen. They are based in Chennai and are famous for their work in Saroja and other Venkat Prabhu films. Ranganaath Ravee handles the sound.

You've entered the industry, at a time that we would like to call “revival of the golden age". A group of talented filmmakers are surfacing with new generation scripts and movies. What’s your take on the changing face of cinema?
SR: I'm happy to see lots of filmmakers coming up nowadays with good films. I don't know if we can call this the revival of golden age yet, but let's hope that more and more filmmakers come up and deliver quality movies.

Most of the filmmakers now opt for digital formats over native film formats. You have intentionally chose and shot on a super 16. When it comes to production and post-production, what are pros and cons of these two formats?
SR: I’ve always felt that the format of the film is dependant on the script and the requirement of the movie. My film demanded the film format. If at all we have the cushion to process each frame in the computer, I'd prefer digital to film any day. However, as of now I love celluloid and the sound of it running while we take the shot.

Name a director whose style has inspired you.
SR: I’m inspired by many filmmakers, especially Christopher Nolan, Guy Ritchie and Darren Aronofsky. But I strongly believe in genuine thoughts. I hate plagiarism. I’m quite sure that no one will say that the shots in my film have been plagiarized. Inspiration is good; plagiarism sucks.

What is your post Second Show plans?
SR: I've been into Second Show for the past 2 years. The next thing in the pipeline is a 2 month-long backpacking through India. I’ll think about which project to work on next, after completing this film.

The content of this article is an exclusive property of MovieRecycle.com. Any unauthorized commercial reproduction of this copyrighted material is strictly prohibited. To buy this content, mail us at shahabaz@movierecycle.com


Original Article URL:
http://www.movierecycle.com/south-cinema/interview-srinath-rajendran/

No comments:

Post a Comment