Friday, February 15, 2013

Kadal: Review

A R Rahman. No question on his genius but an interesting and widely accepted fact is that his tracks needs to grow on you. Couple of years back, I needed at least 3-5 listenings of a Rahman song to appreciate it and once after that it becomes an all-time favorite. Later I got so used to the concept and now when I hear a Rahman track for the first time, I cheat my mind pretending that its my 5th listening and then the song becomes an Instant classic. This applies to a Maniratnam film as well. Saw 'Kadal' today pretending that its my 5th watch and I loved it. Though we can't say its the best of Ratnam. Gautham Karthik who plays the protagonist, No words kiddo! You nailed it. With his 'will smith' charm, he makes us totally forget that its his first ever screen appearance. Saw Arjun with the same excitement I had when I saw him in 'Gentleman' , 20 years back! Aravind Swamy was perfect for the role. Tulasi Nair did a good job. Personally am not really happy about the climax as I felt the screenplay and the dialogues gradually losing its integrity towards the end. Technically the movie is above the current tamil film standards though Rajeev Menon failed to impress me much with the cinematography. Frame stuttering was irritating especially in the Sea Sequences. I remember him saying he had used an array of various camcorders to shoot 'Kadal' from a Super 35 to a Canon 5D Mark II. But I guess poor integration of shots made it too obvious. Amazing soundtrack by A R Rahman and a wonderful choreography. Watch 'Kadal' only if you are religiously following Maniratnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment